According to the Wikipedia's exlpanation about DNS server :
The Domain Name System (DNS) is a hierarchical distributed naming system for computers, services, or any resource connected to the Internet or a private network. It associates various information with domain names assigned to each of the participating entities. Most prominently, it translates easily memorized domain names to the numerical IP addresses needed for the purpose of computer services and devices worldwide.
DNS servers are useful for accessing or block specific websites. In the real usage, the DNS server is more often used to access a web site that is blocked by the operator or internet service provider.
How to Change Your DNS Settings Manually.
In this tutorial, I will explain about how to change the DNS settings on Windows computers manually. Manually change the DNS settings are sometimes needed at any given moment. Here is a step by step how to change DNS settings manually.
- Go to the Control Panel.
- Select Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center.
- Select Change adapter settings. There will be some type of connection that is used by computers / laptops such as the Local Area Connection (connection use a the RJ45 port), Wireless Network Connections (WiFi), Dial-Up Connections and Mobile Broadband Connection if we use a modem.
- In the this example, I use a modem to connect through Mobile Broadband Connection. In the particular modems, this option does not appear and usually use a Dial-Up Connection although actually have broadband access.
- Choose the connection that we often used to be, for example, Mobile Broadband Connection and then right click and select Properties (first picture).
- In the Properties window that appears, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (the TCP / IPv4) and then click the Properties button at the bottom right (second picture).
- After IPv4 Properties window appears, click Advanced (third picture).
- There will appear a new window of Advanced TCP / IP Settings and click the DNS tab (fourth picture).
- Click the Add button, enter the DNS server address in the TCP / IP DNS Server box and click Add to enter the DNS address to the list. Click OK in each window sequentially to close and apply the settings we just created. You're done !.
Common DNS Server Lists.
Below are some commonly used DNS server. Ping first to find out whether it is active or inactive DNS by opening a Command Prompt window. Type 'ping' followed by selected DNS server, for example 'ping 220.127.116.11' and hit Enter.US - Google Public DNS = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - OpenDNS = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
US - Level 3 - A = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
US - Level 3 - B = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Level 3 - C = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
US - Level 3 - D = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
US - Norton DNS = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Comodo Secure = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
US - Dyn = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
US - OpenNIC = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
UK - Bulldog 1 = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
UK - Bulldog 2 = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
UK - Internap = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
UK - Fast Broadband = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
UK - BSO Network = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
UK - Time Warp = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Advantage = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
US - Qwest = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
US - Centurytel = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Sprint = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
US - SmartViper = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
US - Century = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Unotelly = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
US - AT&T DNS = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
US - CenturyLink DNS = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Hurricane Electric =7 126.96.36.199
DE - FoolDNS = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
BG - Mega Lan = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
AU - Exetel = 22.214.171.124, 126.96.36.199
SE - T3 = 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206
DK - censurfridns = 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
ES - PuntCAT = 22.214.171.124
TR - TurkTelekom = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
FR - Budget Telekom = 184.108.40.206
US - Cisco = 220.127.116.11
FR - Anonymous DNS - 1 = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Anonymous DNS - 2 = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
FR - Anonymous DNS - 3 = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
CH - Anonymous DNS - 4 = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - OpenDNS Family = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
US - Norton ConnectSafe - B = 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
US - Norton ConnectSafe - C = 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124
US - Norton ConnectSafe - A = 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52
Hope this useful.